FIRE CIDER VINEGAR
This Autumn, we have been working with herbalist Kate Aster, who has been leading a series of health and well-being workshops in the garden classroom for women in the childbirth journey. Below, Kate shares her Fire Cider recipe...
For immune support Fire Cider is a brilliant winter tonic and profolactic.
To make it you will need:
1L Kilner jar
1L Cider vinegar
1⁄2 cup Horse raddish root
1⁄2 cup Onion
1⁄4 cup Garlic
1⁄4 cup Ginger
Chopped fresh or dried Cayenne pepper to taste (start small, you can always add more)
To this you can add Rosemary, Thyme, Cinammon or other aromatic herbs that you like.
- First dig up some horse radish, cut off the leaves, wash off the mud and slice the root.
- Chop and measure out the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add all ingredients to a steralised air tight jar.
- Chop and add the cayenne and any aditional herbs or spices.
- Pour in cider vinegar to cover the ingredients by about 3-4 inches.
- Seal and lable the jar.
- Shake jar daily for 3-4 weeks
- Strain into bottle(s) through muslin lined sieve.
- Lable bottle(s).
Keep for one winter season
Take 1-3 shot glasses daily
Optional, add a little honey to each glass to taste.