CROPSHARE #9 Purple sprouting broccoli
Purple sprouting broccoli is a variety of broccoli and is part of the brassica family. Unlike broccoli, it has lots of thin stems with purple flowerheads and adds deep and vibrant colour to vegetable dishes.
Its season is late winter to spring, when other greens are in short supply.
Purple sprouting broccoli spears may be cooked just the same way as asparagus. To prepare for cooking you need to trim woody stems, so that you’re left with the more tender part of purple sprouting broccoli. The stems take longer to cook than the flowers, so it is recommended to split them in half. It takes around 3-6 minutes to boil or steam purple sprouting broccoli. It can also be sautéed or added to stir-fries.
Nutritionally, purple sprouting broccoli is a rich source of vitamin C and K, and dietary fibre. It contains anthocyanins, compounds that give plants red, purple and blue colours and have antioxidant effects. It is also a source of iron, folate and carotenoids.
Steph's seasonal and no waste, Purple Sprouting Broccoli & Black Bean Jajangmyeon
This recipe would benefit from a food processor or blender
● 200g of Purple Sprouting Broccoli / broccoli if not able to source purple sprouting broccoli
● 200g of Black Beans (soaked and cooked before the session)
● Noodles (of your choice, preferably wholegrain)
● 1.5 cm of Ginger
● 5 cloves of garlic
● 2 tables spoons Soya Sauce
● 2 table spoons of Rice wine vinegar
● 2 teaspoons of miso (optional)
● Chili (optional)
● 2 Onions/shallots/leeks
● 1 table spoon of Sugar/Mirin/honey/maple syrup
● Spring onions & sesame seeds to garnish
1. Prepare noodles by cooking them in boiling water for 2-4 minutes, run under cold water when done, toss in sesame oil to avoid them sticking together.
2. Blitz ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, half of the black beans, all the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sweetener , chili and miso until smooth, preferably glossy.
3. Prepare Purple sprouting broccoli by quartering large sprigs and finely chopping stalks to thin discs.
4. Cook together onions, garlic and chili until soft, and then add the prepared sauce for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the chopped purple sprouting broccoli for 2 minutes and toss in with the sauce.
6. Add the remaining black beans for another 2 minutes and toss with the other ingredients.
7. Serve with noodles and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.