IMBOLC 2021 CELEBRATION RECIPES
Imbolc marks the halfway point between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox.
In the Celtic calendar it signals the beginning of Spring and the stirring of new life.
This can be a good time to let go of the past and to look to the future, clearing out the old, making both outer
and inner space for new beginnings. Perhaps a good time for some spring-cleaning or meditation to clear the mind and make space for inspiration.
Here are two recipes from the Global Gardens Imbolc Celebration 2021.
Steph's Khitchari recipe
150g whole grain brown basmati rice
150g red lentils
2 tbsp of rape seed oil
2 bay leaves
6 green cardamon pods, crush the seeds
1 black cardamon pod, crush the seeds
pinch of chili (optional)
1 tsp of cumin seeds
1 tsp of black mustard seeds
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic, chopped/crushed
thumb of ginger, crushed/grated/chopped
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of hing (asafoetida)
1 tsp of sea salt or to taste
1. soak rice for 15 - 20 mins in boiling water
2. heat oil in stock pan, add bay leaves, cardamon pods, chili, cumin seeds, mustard seeds. Fry until bay leaves turn crisp and mustard seeds begin to pop ( a minute or so).
3. Add onion, garlic, and ginger, slow heat and fry until onions soften.
4. Drain rice, add to stock pan, along with lentils, turmeric, hing, salt and 1 litre of water - stir.
5. Cook on a medium heat until it begins to simmer, bring the heat down, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 30 mins.
6. Best to leave it alone for 20 mins. Stir occasionally, more so in the latter stages.
7. Leave to stand for 10 mins with the lid on .
Enjoy! Can be eaten as simply on its own or with extras. Optional extras :
- lemon juice
- spring onions
- steamed veggies (whatever is in season), cabbage coated in lemon juice, salt & chili , same with leeks.
- coriander and yogurt chutney (yogurt 100g, lemon juice (1 lemon), coriander (100g), 1 tsp of salt, chili, blend everything other than yogurt, then add yogurt to the end).
- seasonal veggies roasted in garam masala (beetroots, cauliflower, swede)
Vaida's Milky chamomile tea/latte
1 cup of milk (plant or dairy), or 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water
1- 1.5 tbsp dried chamomile flowers
a few seeds of green cardamon, or 1 cracked cardamon pod
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
A sweetener of choice (optional)
Bring the liquid part of your tea to the boil. Turn the heat off and mix in chamomile, and cardamon. Cover and leave it to steep for around 10 minutes. Strain it and mix in cinnamon. You can drink the tea now, or you could mix it in a blender to make a very satisfying foam.
Chamomile tea is a gentle sleep aid so it’s best to drink it in the evening. Enjoy!